Hello Jeff:

Sorry for my delay. To user Intel compiler for openmpi, I removed openmpi installed on my machine and downloaded openmpi 1.2.5 gz file. ./configure script exited with zero. But I find errors in config.log. If any comments/advice can be given, that would be appreciated. My script argument is

./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort F77=ifort --includedir=/opt/intel/cc/10.1.015/include:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.015/include --libdir=/opt/intel/cc/10.1.015/lib:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.015/lib

194 configure:6309: checking how to run the C preprocessor
195 configure:6349: icc -E conftest.c
196 configure:6355: $? = 0
197 configure:6386: icc -E conftest.c
198 conftest.c(37): error #5: could not open source file "ac_nonexistent.h"
199 #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
200 ^
201
202 configure:6392: $? = 2
203 configure: failed program was:
204 | /* confdefs.h. */
205 | #define PACKAGE_NAME "Open MPI"
206 | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "openmpi"
207 | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.2.5"
208 | #define PACKAGE_STRING "Open MPI 1.2.5"
209 | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "http://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/"
210 | #define OMPI_MAJOR_VERSION 1
211 | #define OMPI_MINOR_VERSION 2
212 | #define OMPI_RELEASE_VERSION 5
213 | #define OMPI_GREEK_VERSION ""
214 | #define OMPI_VERSION "5"
215 | #define ORTE_MAJOR_VERSION 1
216 | #define ORTE_MINOR_VERSION 2
217 | #define ORTE_RELEASE_VERSION 5
218 | #define ORTE_GREEK_VERSION ""
219 | #define ORTE_VERSION "5"
220 | #define OPAL_MAJOR_VERSION 1
221 | #define OPAL_MINOR_VERSION 2
222 | #define OPAL_RELEASE_VERSION 5
223 | #define OPAL_GREEK_VERSION ""
224 | #define OPAL_VERSION "5"
225 | #define OMPI_ARCH "i686-pc-linux-gnu"
226 | #define OMPI_ENABLE_MEM_DEBUG 0
227 | #define OMPI_ENABLE_MEM_PROFILE 0
228 | #define OMPI_ENABLE_DEBUG 0
229 | #define OMPI_WANT_MPI_CXX_SEEK 1
230 | #define MPI_PARAM_CHECK ompi_mpi_param_check
231 | #define OMPI_WANT_PRETTY_PRINT_STACKTRACE 1
232 | #define OMPI_WANT_PERUSE 0
233 | #define OMPI_ENABLE_PTY_SUPPORT 1
234 | #define OMPI_ENABLE_HETEROGENEOUS_SUPPORT 1
235 | #define OPAL_ENABLE_TRACE 0
236 | #define OPAL_ENABLE_IPV6 1
237 | #define ORTE_WANT_ORTERUN_PREFIX_BY_DEFAULT 0
238 | #define OMPI_CC "icc"
239 | /* end confdefs.h. */
240 | #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
241 configure:6425: result: icc -E
242 configure:6454: icc -E conftest.c
243 configure:6460: $? = 0
244 configure:6491: icc -E conftest.c
245 conftest.c(37): error #5: could not open source file "ac_nonexistent.h"
246 #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
247 ^

Thanks!

Wen Hao Wang

Inactive hide details for Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@cisco.com>Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@cisco.com>

          Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@cisco.com>
          Sent by: users-bounces@open-mpi.org

          2008-05-13 08:43
          Please respond to
          Open MPI Users <users@open-mpi.org>

Open MPI Users <users@open-mpi.org>

cc

Subject

Re: [OMPI users] Compiler Choice in openmpi

On May 11, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Wen Hao Wang wrote:

> 1. How can I change/set Fortran compiler used after installing
> openmpi?
> I installed openmpi-1.2.5-2 on RHEL5.2 Server with x86_32 arch. The
> rpm has been shipped RHEL images. I directly installed the rpms
> without compiling the source code. Now all mpi* compiler wrappers
> point to GNU compilers. I need change to use Intel compilers by
> default. How should I do? I caught one message about configuration
> files /etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf and $HOME/.openmpi/mca-
> params.conf. Not sure whether these two files can help. While I
> failed to find detailed explanation for them.

You really need to compile Open MPI from source for this;
unfortunately, there are several aspects of Open MPI that are tied to
the specific compiler chain that is used.  Specifically: you *might*
be able to get away without re-compiling Open MPI, but I wouldn't
advise it.

You can download the OMPI source tarball from the main web site and
configure it with the following to specify the intel compiler suite:

    ./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort F77=ifort ...

You may want to list other configure options, such as --prefix, --
enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default, etc.
> 2. Can I use Intel compiler and GNU compiler together?
> I am not sure whether I can use two types of compiler to compile one
> program. For example, use GNU c/c++ compiler and Intel Fortran
> compiler together to compile my project.

Yes, there are cases where this works.  But if possible, it's
generally easiest to simply use a single compiler toolset (e.g., all
Intel or all GNU).  More specifically, unless you have a *need* to mix
the compilers, just use a single toolset.

Cisco Systems