I don’t immediately see anything in your configuration that would cause the problem you describe. We haven’t seen any problems running non-mpi apps – as I mentioned in another posting, we do it regularly, both threaded and non-threaded. My best guess is that there is something preventing openmpi from finding/running your remote executable.

As I mentioned in the other posting, I would suggest upgrading to the 1.2 release as it handles such problems better than 1.1.x. If you do and you continue to see a problem, you could run with —debug-daemons –mca odls_base_verbose 1 and send me the resulting output so we can figure out what is going on.

Ralph

On 3/13/07 9:09 AM, "David Minor" <david-m@orbotech.com> wrote:

with tar

From: users-bounces@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-bounces@open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Ralph H Castain
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:25 PM
To: Open MPI Users <users@open-mpi.org>
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Orted freezes on launch of application

Hi David

I think your tar file didn’t get attached – at least, it didn’t reach me. Can you please send it again?

Thanks
Ralph

On 3/13/07 1:00 AM, "David Minor" <david-m@orbotech.com> wrote:
Hi,
I'm an MPICH2 user trying out openmpi. I'm running a 1G network under Red Hat 9, but using the g++ 3.4.3 compiler. Openmpi compiled and installed fine but none of my applications that run under MPICH2 will run.  I decided to go backwards and try to run a non-mpi application like /bin/ps, same results.
mpirun -np 2 --host zebra1,bug --mca pls_rsh_debug 1 --mca pls_rsh_agent rsh /bin/ps

The end result is the console is frozen. orted is running on both nodes, one version of orted is zombied under mpirun. I get the same results trying to run a simple mpi application. The enclosed tar has all the info you ask for and then some. I know I'm probably just not doing something right but you're documentation leaves a lot to be desired. The best doc seems to the be FAQ. There doesn't seem to be anything more comprehensive, if there is please tell me. Also, you need to define an == operator for MPI::Request that will allow a request to be compared to MPI_NULL_REQUEST. I don't see any way to do this in you c++ implementation.
Regards,
David Minor
Orbotech