Funny, but I couldn't find the code path that supported that in the latest 1.6 series release (didn't check earlier ones) - but no matter, it seems logical enough. Fixed in the trunk and cmr'd to 1.7.4

Thanks!
Ralph

On Dec 19, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Tim Miller <btamiller@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ralph,

That's correct. All of the original processes see the -x values, but spawned ones do not.

Regards,
Tim

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:

On Dec 19, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Tim Miller <btamiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a question similar (but not identical to) the one asked by Tom Fogel a week or so back...
>
> I have a code that uses MPI_Comm_spawn to launch different processes. The executables for these use libraries in non-standard locations, so what I've done is add the directories containing them to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, and then calling mpirun with "-x LD_LIBRARY_PATH". This works well for me on OpenMPI 1.6.3 and earlier. However, I've been playing with OpenMPI 1.7.3 and this no longer seems to work. As soon as my code MPI_Comm_spawns, all the spawned processes die complaining that they can't find the correct libraries to start the executable.
>
> Has there been a way that exported variables are passed to spawned processes between OpenMPI 1.6 and 1.7?

Not intentionally, though it is possible that some bug crept into the code. If I understand correctly, the -x values are being seen by the original procs, but not by the comm_spawned ones?