Hello Ralph,
Your suggestion did the trick.

>> I don't remember back to 1.4.3, but I think it was true even that long ago - we provide an environmental variable OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK that holds the rank of the process.

Out of curiosity if I want to learn more about this topic in detail what would be a good place to start.

Thank You for your help.
Regards,
Deepak

From: godeepakm@hotmail.com
To: users@open-mpi.org
Subject: How to Read the Rank from the MPI_TASK
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 20:39:34 +0000

Hello All,
I am new user to this mailing list and am trying to get familiar with mpi.
I am using open mpi version 1.4.3
I have a simple shell script that I have written
The Shell Script that I have is as follows
helloWorld.sh
<code>
#!/bin/bash
echo " Hello World from Rank $rank"
<code>

The MPI Command that I am executing is as follows
mpirun -np 3 helloWorld.sh

What I want to know how what parameter do I need to pass from the mpirun command line so that I can read the rank for each task within my helloWorld Shell Script.

Please excuse me if this is a duplicate entry. I have searched through all the forums and did not get the answer to my question.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Regards,
Deepak