Actually, silly me. I didn't fully grok your note to see that you wanted to run valgrind on slaves generated via comm_spawn.

That's a tad trickier, but not too hard to do. There actually is a "fork agent" you can define that will do what you want. If you do this:

mpirun -mca orte_fork_agent "valgrind <options>" <mpirun-options> ./my_app

We will execute "valgrind <options> ./my_app" whenever we start one of your processes. This includes process launched via comm_spawn.

HTH
Ralph

On Nov 16, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Brian Budge <brian.budge@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks very much Ralph.  Silly me I thought it might actually be some effort :)

  Brian

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
Easiest solution: just add valgrind into the cmd line

mpirun <options> valgrind <valgrind-options> ./my_app