Thanks Mark,

Figured out that I had both pointing to the same location....removed MPICH2 by hand, as you mentioned.

Installed OMPI and it works finally (via console thou).

Altho I gotta use sudo before the mpicc or mpiexec, or I get nothing (plus I gotta be in the dir where I installed OMPI to use the commands...not sure if this is right or if I gotta make changes somewhere...I would like to call these commands like I do for grep and other commands ).

Now the next obstacle is to find out how to let Xcode to see the MPI libraries; I can run programs via terminal, but if I try to run them in Xcode I get an error because it cannot find MPI.h; even if i do a

#import <mpi.h>

I suspect that it should work but I am probably missing something....how are you able to use MPI on Xcode? Gotta change some build settings?

Thanks!

On Nov 12, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Mark Bolstad wrote:

You may want to see if you have MacPorts installed. Typically (but not always), /opt/local is from a MacPorts installation. If it is then it's very easy to remove mpich and install openmpi.

To check for MacPorts, see if /opt/local/bin/port exists. Then,

sudo port uninstall --follow-dependencies mpich2
sudo port install openmpi

FYI, I'm using OpenMPI 1.6 with XCode 4.5.2 on 10.8.2 and it works fine.

Mark

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM, shiny knight <theshinyknight@me.com> wrote:
Thanks Reuti for the sample.

I have the latest Xcode available on the Apple dev center; Xcode 4 probably?

I think that the reason why nothing happens is because the code runs via MPICH2; tried to launch mpicc with the -echo flag and i see in the output

-I/opt/local/include/mpich2 -L/opt/local/lib -lpmpich -lmpich -lopa -lmpl -lpthread

which makes me think that i am using MPICH2; I just need to figure out how to remove it now...found a dir in opt/local/include that is called mpich2 but I am not sure if is enough to just delete that dir.

 When I have installed OpenMPI I followed the instructions on this site:

https://sites.google.com/site/dwhipp/tutorials/installing-open-mpi-on-mac-os-x

While for MPICH2 I've followed this one:

http://www.mpitutorial.com/installing-mpich2/

Most likely I've put them on top of each other and messed up both