From: users-bounces@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-bounces@open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Shiqing Fan
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:37 AM
To: George Bosilca
Cc: Open MPI Users; james.torossian@essetek.com
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] O-MPI Support for Windows 7

I'm afraid "--mca plm rsh" is not going to work. James is using a Windows build, which doesn't have the rsh plm module.

There are only two plm modules for windows:
MCA plm: process (MCA ...
MCA plm: ccp (MCA ...

I think the binaries built by James contains only the process module, which is internaly using WMI. So there is no way to switch to ssh or rsh, because they are not built.

To use ssh, one has to build Open MPI source under Cygwin, using the auto-tools chain (the same as on Linux). Unfortunately, the CMake support in OMPI was only for the native windows build, it won't work under Cygwin.

On 2012-02-07 1:51 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

Let's try to force the usage of ssh.

First try:

mpirun --mca plm rsh hostname

If not, go in the installation directory and rename lib/openmpi/mca_plm_rsh.* to something without the .la and .so extension. Then re-run the hostname via mpirun.

  george.

On Feb 7, 2012, at 06:32 , James Torossian wrote:

Hi Shiqing,

I agree. I think that I am somehow using WMI, but this is happening both with the Open-MPI windows binary (OpenMPI_v1.5.4-1_win32.exe) and also with versions of the binaries I built (1.4.3 & 1.5.1 from svn).

What do I have to do to get OpenMPI to use ssh instead of WMI. From what I can see of the configuration with ompi_info, the following seems correct:

$ ompi_info -all

Package: Open MPI hpcfan@VISCLUSTER26 Distribution

Open MPI: 1.5.4

Open MPI SVN revision: r25060

Open MPI release date: Aug 18, 2011

Open RTE: 1.5.4

Open RTE SVN revision: r25060

Open RTE release date: Aug 18, 2011

OPAL: 1.5.4

OPAL SVN revision: r25060

OPAL release date: Aug 18, 2011

Ident string: 1.5.4

….

MCA orte: parameter "orte_rsh_agent" (current value: <ssh : rsh>, ….

….

MCA plm: parameter "plm_rsh_agent" (current value: <ssh : rsh>, ….

….

Is there a cmake configuration option I need to set for a Windows build to use ssh? Is there some environment or package configuration option I need to set?

Thanks again for your help, I am keen to know what I am missing.

Best regards,

Jim

On 2012-02-07 4:11 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

Afraid I'm no OpenSSH expert, but it sounds like there is an issue with its configuration. Check out the OpenSSH config options to see if something fits.

I did a quick search and found this, as an example:

Note the need to run ssh-agent to cache login credentials.

On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:05 PM, James Torossian wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to setup Open-MPI across two Windows 7 machines with UAC disabled ……

Cygwin with OpenSSH is installed, and I can successfully ssh to each machine without entry of username and password:

JimT@JimT-PC ~

$ ssh NanoOneQuad

Last login: Tue Feb  7 01:42:02 2012 from jimt-pc

JimT@NanoOneQuad ~

$

Regardless of this, mpirun insists on asking for a username and password; then asks to save credentials, but if selected, responds with not implemented. If saving credentials is not selected, then I can see that the task starts on the other machine (in task manager) and that the task runs to completion OK:

JimT@JimT-PC ~

$ mpirun -H NanoOneQuad ipconfig.exe

connecting to NanoOneQuad

username:JimT

password:**************

Save Credential?(Y/N) y

[JimT-PC:03784] This feature hasn't been implemented yet.

JimT@JimT-PC ~

$ mpirun -H NanoOneQuad ipconfig.exe

connecting to NanoOneQuad

username:JimT

password:**************

Save Credential?(Y/N) n

JimT@JimT-PC ~

$

Please let me know what I have missed. I have gone through the FAQs and have rebuilt the windows version but can’t seem to get past this.

Thanks and best regards,

Jim

Shiqing Fan
High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Tel: ++49(0)711-685-87234      Nobelstrasse 19
Fax: ++49(0)711-685-65832      70569 Stuttgart
http://www.hlrs.de/organization/people/shiqing-fan/
email: fan@hlrs.de