After some searching, it turns out mpi4py tries to call MPI_Init_thread but python in general has issues with threads apparently. I'm backing off from threading at this point.

noobermin

From: TERRY DONTJE <terry.dontje@oracle.com>
To: users@open-mpi.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] using MPI_Recv in two different threads.

I am a little confused by your problem statement.  Are you saying you want to have each MPI process to have multiple threads that can call MPI concurrently?  If so you'll want to read up on the MPI_Init_thread function.

--td

On 1/11/2012 7:19 AM, Hamilton Fischer wrote:
Hi, I'm actually using mpi4py but my question should be similar to normal MPI in spirit.

Simply, I want to do a MPMD application with a dedicated thread for each node (I have a small network). I was wondering if it was okay to do a blocking recv in each independent thread. Of course, since each thread has one node, there is no problem with wrong recv's being picked up by other threads.

Thanks.

noobermin

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle - Performance Technologies
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
Email terry.dontje@oracle.com