On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Jack Bryan wrote:

Hi,  I am using

mpirun (Open MPI) 1.3.4

But, I have these,

orte-clean  orted       orte-iof    orte-ps     orterun

Can they do the same thing ?

Unfortunately, no

If I use them, will they use a lot of memory on each worker node and print out a lot of things on some log files ?

No, but they won't help. orte-top would be run only on the head node (i.e., where you are logged in), and would generate output to your screen.

But you don't have it with that release, so the point is moot. Afraid there isn't much else you can do - you might talk to your sys admin and see what tools are available on your cluster for this purpose. Perhaps a nice parallel debugger is available?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

From: rhc@open-mpi.org
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:09:17 -0600
To: users@open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OMPI monitor each process behavior

What version are you using? If you are using 1.5.x, there is an "orte-top" command that will do what you ask. It queries the daemons to get the info.

On Apr 12, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Jack Bryan wrote:

Hi , All:

I need to monitor the memory usage of each parallel process on a linux Open MPI cluster.

But, top, ps command cannot help here because they only show the head node information.

I need to follow the behavior of each process on each cluster node.

I cannot use ssh to access each node.

The program takes 8 hours to finish.