That is an awfully old kernel, so it may indeed not have support for binding. I'd have to defer to someone more knowledgable to say for sure, but you might consider updating to something newer.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:57 PM, vaibhav dutt wrote:

2.6.9-78.0.17.ELpapismp #1 SMP Tue Apr 7 13:14:04 CDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
What OS version is it?

uname -a

will tell you, if you are on linux.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:31 PM, vaibhav dutt wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to execute first a process by using

mpirun -machinefile hostfile.txt  --slot-list 0:1   -np 1

but it gives the same as error as mentioned previously.

Then, I created a rankfile with contents"

rank 0=t1.tools.xxx  slot=0:0
rank 1=t1.tools.xxx  slot=1:0.

and the  used command

mpirun -machinefile hostfile.txt --rankfile my_rankfile.txt   -np 2

but ended  up getting same error. Is there any patch that I can install in my system to make it
topology aware?

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
The error is telling you that your OS doesn't support queries telling us what cores are on which sockets, so we can't perform a "bind to socket" operation. You can probably still "bind to core", so if you know what cores are in which sockets, then you could use the rank_file mapper to assign processes to groups of cores in a socket.

It's just that we can't do it automatically because the OS won't give us the required info.

See "mpirun -h" for more info on slot lists.