What OS version is it?

uname -a

will tell you, if you are on linux.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:31 PM, vaibhav dutt wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to execute first a process by using

mpirun -machinefile hostfile.txt  --slot-list 0:1   -np 1

but it gives the same as error as mentioned previously.

Then, I created a rankfile with contents"

rank 0=t1.tools.xxx  slot=0:0
rank 1=t1.tools.xxx  slot=1:0.

and the  used command

mpirun -machinefile hostfile.txt --rankfile my_rankfile.txt   -np 2

but ended  up getting same error. Is there any patch that I can install in my system to make it
topology aware?

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
The error is telling you that your OS doesn't support queries telling us what cores are on which sockets, so we can't perform a "bind to socket" operation. You can probably still "bind to core", so if you know what cores are in which sockets, then you could use the rank_file mapper to assign processes to groups of cores in a socket.

It's just that we can't do it automatically because the OS won't give us the required info.

See "mpirun -h" for more info on slot lists.