From: users-bounces@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-bounces@open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Terry Dontje
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:02 PM
To: users@open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Totalview not showing main program on startup with OpenMPI 1.3.x and 1.4.x

This sounds like something I ran into some time ago that involved the compiler omitting frame pointers.  You may want to try to compile your code with -fno-omit-frame-pointer.  I am unsure if you may need to do the same while building MPI though.

--td

On 02/09/2011 02:49 PM, Dennis McRitchie wrote:

Hi,

I'm encountering a strange problem and can't find it having been discussed on this mailing list.

When building and running my parallel program using any recent Intel compiler and OpenMPI 1.2.8, TotalView behaves entirely correctly, displaying the "Process mpirun is a parallel job. Do you want to stop the job now?" dialog box, and stopping at the start of the program. The code displayed is the source code of my program's function main, and the stack trace window shows that we are stopped in the poll function many levels "up" from my main function's call to MPI_Init. I can then set breakpoints, single step, etc., and the code runs appropriately.

But when building and running using Intel compilers with OpenMPI 1.3.x or 1.4.x, TotalView displays the usual dialog box, and stops at the start of the program; but my main program's source code is *not* displayed. The stack trace window again shows that we are stopped in the poll function several levels "up" from my main function's call to MPI_Init; but this time, the code displayed is the assembler code for the poll function itself.

If I click on 'main' in the stack trace window, the source code for my program's function main is then displayed, and I can now set breakpoints, single step, etc. as usual.

So why is the program's source code not displayed when using 1.3.x and 1.4.x, but is displayed when using 1.2.8. This change in behavior is fairly confusing to our users, and it would be nice to have it work as it used to, if possible.

Thanks,
       Dennis

Dennis McRitchie
Computational Science and Engineering Support (CSES)
Academic Services Department
Office of Information Technology
Princeton University

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle - Performance Technologies
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
Email terry.dontje@oracle.com