Jeff,

We have 3 Rocks Clusters, while there is a default MPI with each
Rocks Release, it is often behind the latest production release as
you note.

We typically install whatever OpenMPI version we want in a shared space
and ignore the default installed with Rocks.  Sometimes there standard
Linux libraries that can be a bit out of date which may be registered as
"can't finds" in the configuration and/or buiild of OpenMPI, but there usually an
easy go around.  As far as 'closely intertwined' goes, I would say that
is an exaggeration.

It does mean some extra work for someone ... around here is it me ... ;-) ...

rbw

Richard Walsh
Parallel Applications and Systems Manager
CUNY HPC Center, Staten Island, NY
718-982-3319
612-382-4620

Reason does give the heart pause;