You may want to check your limits as defined by the shell/system. I can also run this for as long as I'm willing to let it run, so something else appears to be going on.

On Dec 1, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Nicolas Bock wrote:

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 16:28, Abhishek Kulkarni <abbyzcool@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading Anthony's question again, I am not sure now that we are having
> the same problem, but we might. In any case, the attached example programs
> trigger the issue of running out of pipes. I don't see how orted could, even
> if it was reused. There is only a very limited number of processes running
> at any given time. Once slave terminates, how would it still have open
> pipes? Shouldn't the total number of open files, or pipes, be very limited
> in this situation? And yet, after maybe 20 or so iterations in master.c,
> orted complains about running out of pipes.
>
> nick

What version of OMPI are you trying it with? I can easily run it up to more
than 200 iterations.

openmpi-1.3.3

Also, how many nodes are you running this on?

This is on one node with 4 cores. I am using

mpirun -np 1