Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_Finalize() maintains load at 100%.
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-23 10:39:34

On May 23, 2014, at 7:21 AM, Iván Cores González <ivan.coresg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
> Thanks for your response.
> I see your point, I try to change the algorithm but some processes finish while the others are still calling MPI functions. I can't avoid this behaviour.
> The ideal behavior is the processes go to sleep (or don't use the 100% of load) when the MPI_Finalize is called.
>
> For the time being maybe the fastest solution is instert a "manual" sleep before the MPI_Finalize.
>
> Another question, Could be possible kill some MPI processes and avoid that the mpirun fails? Or this behaviuor is impossible?

I assume you mean have them exit without calling MPI_Finalize, so they don't block? Technically, yes, though we wouldn't recommend that behavior. You can add "-mca orte_allowed_exit_without_sync 1" to your cmd line (or set the mca param in your environment, etc.) and mpirun won't terminate you if a proc exits without calling MPI_Finalize. We will still, however, terminate the job if (a) a proc dies by signal (e.g., segfaults), or (b) a proc exits with a non-zero status, so you'll still have some protection from hangs.