Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openmpi configuration error?
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 18:44:16

Hi Ben

I guess you are not particularly interested on Modules or LMod either.
You probably don't administer this cluster,
but are just trying to have MPI working, right?

Are you trying to use Open MPI or MPICH?
Your email mentions both.
Let's assume it is Open MPI.

Is recompiling your code with the new version of Open MPI installed
in the cluster an option for you, or not?
If it is, that may be the simplest and best solution.

If the cluster has a system administrator, you may ask him about
the best way to set up your environment variables.

In any case, for your Open MPI to work you need your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be correctly set.
If the system administator migrated OpenMPI 1.4.4 to a "retired"
directory, you may need to adjust PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to point to the "retired" directories (if they are still functional).

echo $PATH
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

may show what you have.

Does the cluster use modules, perhaps?
What do you get from

module list

?

As a workaround you're using bash, you could add these to .bashrc

export PATH=/opt/apps/openmpi/retired/1.4.4-intel/bin:$PATH
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/apps/openmpi/retired/1.4.4-intel/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

if csh to .cshrc

setenv PATH /opt/apps/openmpi/retired/1.4.4-intel/bin:$PATH
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/apps/openmpi/retired/1.4.4-intel/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa