Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question about scheduler support
From: Maxime Boissonneault (maxime.boissonneault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 10:00:16

Le 2014-05-16 09:06, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) a écrit :
> On May 15, 2014, at 8:00 PM, Fabricio Cannini <fcannini_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>> Nobody is disagreeing that one could find a way to make CMake work - all we are saying is that (a) CMake has issues too, just like autotools, and (b) we have yet to see a compelling reason to undertake the transition...which would have to be a *very* compelling one.
>> I was simply agreeing with Maxime about why it could work. ;)
>>
>> But if you and the other devels are fine with it, i'm fine too.
> FWIW, simply for my own curiosity's sake, if someone could confirm deny whether cmake:
>
> 1. Supports the following compiler suites: GNU (that's a given, I assume), Clang, OS X native (which is variants of GNU and Clang), Absoft, PGI, Intel, Cray, HP-UX, Oracle Solaris (Linux and Solaris), Tru64, Microsoft Visual, IBM BlueGene (I think that's gcc, but am not entirely sure). (some of these matter mainly to hwloc, not necessarily OMPI)
I have built projects with CMake using GNU, Intel, PGI, OS X native.
CMake claims to make MSV projects, so I'm assuming MS Visual works. I
can't say about the others.
> 2. Bootstrap a tarball such that an end user does not need to have cmake installed.

That, I have no clue, but they do have a page about bootstrapping cmake
itself
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/install.html
I am not sure if this is what you mean.

If there is no existing CMake installation, a bootstrap script is provided:

    ./bootstrap
     make
     make install

(Note: the make install step is optional, cmake will run from the build
directory.)

According to this, you could have a tarball including CMake and instruct
the users to run some variant of (or make your own bootstrap script
including this)
  ./bootstrap && make && ./cmake . && make && make install

Now that I think about it, OpenFOAM uses CMake and bootstraps it if it
is not install, so it is certainly possible.

Maxime