Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question about scheduler support
From: Maxime Boissonneault (maxime.boissonneault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-15 19:15:06

Le 2014-05-15 18:27, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) a écrit :
> On May 15, 2014, at 6:14 PM, Fabricio Cannini <fcannini_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Alright, but now I'm curious as to why you decided against it.
>> Could please elaborate on it a bit ?
> OMPI has a long, deep history with the GNU Autotools. It's a very long, complicated story, but the high points are:
>
> 1. The GNU Autotools community has given us very good support over the years.
> 2. The GNU Autotools support all compilers that we want to support, including shared library support (others did not, back in 2004 when we started OMPI).
> 3. The GNU Autotools can fully bootstrap a tarball such that the end user does not need to have the GNU Autotools installed to build an OMPI tarball.
You mean some people do NOT have GNU Autotools ? :P

Jokes aside, CMake has certainly matured enough for point #2 and is used
by very big projects (KDE for example). Not sure about point #3 though.
I am wondering though, how do you handle Windows with OpenMPI and GNU
Autotools ? I know CMake is famous for being cross-plateform (that's
what the C means) and can generate builds for Windows, Visual Studio and
such.

In any case, I do not see any need to change from one toolchain to
another, although I have seen many projects providing both and that did
not seem to be too much of a hassle. It's still probably more work than
what you want to get into though.

Maxime