Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question about scheduler support
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-15 13:59:22

Hi List

Sorry, but I confess I am having a hard time to understand
all the fuss about this.

At least in OMPI 1.6.5 there are already
two configure options that just knock out support for slurm and
loadleveler if they are set to "no", hopefully for the joy of everybody
that want lean and mean OMPI installations.
(Maybe those options are available in OMPI 1.8.1 also?
I haven't tried it.)

Just configure:

--with-slurm=no --with-loadleveler=no

One could go on and on and make a comprehensive list of all options
that one wants in/out, and configure with/without all of them.

**

Isn't this level of simplicity, effectiveness, and of
standard use of configure options, good enough for us?

Works for me.

**

IMHO, what would help is to very clearly document
on the "configure --help" output what is the default value of
*all* options.

This would allow system administrators and other users to safely
make informed choices (or just let the defaults go, if they prefer).
Although I must say right now "configure --help" is not that bad at all.
I am not frustrated with it. It may need only a few tweaks.

Currently the --with-slurm and --with-loadleveler options
are clearly documented as having "yes" as the default.
However, other options don't have so clearly documented defaults.
In particular -with-tm Torque (which seems to depend on its libraries
and headers being found or not by configure).
By contrast --with-sge clearly says "no" is the default.

This covers pretty much all free/open source schedulers,
correct me if I am wrong, please.

LSF seems not to have a clearly documented default also.
But LSF is for the rich. I am out.

My 2 cents, 2nd edition, out of print.
Bye, thanks, regards.
Gus Correa