Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question about scheduler support
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-15 09:35:31

These are all good points -- thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear: my point about the menu system was to generate file that could be used for subsequent installs, very specifically targeted at those who want/need scriptable installations.

One possible scenario could be: you download OMPI, run the menu installer so that you can see the options that are available, pick the ones you want, generate the file, and then use it in automated installs (e.g., ./configure --only-build-this-stuff=file_I_created_from_menu_installer).

I am presuming that the generated file will be text, so it could be built/edited by hand, too. This is heavily inspired by the Linux kernel's "make menuconfig": it generates a .config file that you can use for subsequent builds.

We can also look at the possibility of providing a template file that lists all options that are available in that particular tarball (similar to the Linux kernel "make config").

This, BTW, is one part where we need to build some new infrastructure: to register and discover all available options (history has shown that just maintaining a text file for a project the size of Open MPI is not feasible -- it'll get stale/out of date).

Other large projects do this kind of thing; we need to see if there's any ideas/code we can borrow rather than completely re-inventing the wheel.

Again, these are just my thoughts after having thought about this for only about 30 minutes -- so this is likely quite rough and may not even resemble what we finally end up with.