Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem with shell when launching jobs with OpenMPI 1.6.5 rsh
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-07 16:27:01

Am 07.04.2014 um 22:04 schrieb Blosch, Edwin L:

> I am submitting a job for execution under SGE. My default shell is /bin/csh.

Where - in SGE or on the interactive command line you get?

> The script that is submitted has #!/bin/bash at the top. The script runs on the 1st node allocated to the job. The script runs a Python wrapper that ultimately issues the following mpirun command:
>
> /apps/local/test/openmpi/bin/mpirun --machinefile mpihosts.914 -np 48 -x LD_LIBRARY_PATH -x MPI_ENVIRONMENT=1 --mca btl ^tcp --mca shmem_mmap_relocate_backing_file -1 --bind-to-core --bycore --mca orte_rsh_agent /usr/bin/rsh --mca plm_rsh_disable_qrsh 1 /apps/local/test/solver/bin/solver_openmpi -cycles 50 -ri restart.0 -i flow.inp >& output
>
> Just so there’s no confusion, OpenMPI is built without support for SGE. It should be using rsh to launch.
>
> There are 4 nodes involved (each 12 cores, 48 processes total). In the output file, I see 3 sets of messages as shown below. I assume I am seeing 1 set of messages for each of the 3 remote nodes where processes need to be launched:
>
> /bin/.: Permission denied.
> OPAL_PREFIX=/apps/local/falcon2014/openmpi: Command not found.
> export: Command not found.
> PATH=/apps/local/test/openmpi/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/local/etc:/home/bloscel/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bsd: Command not found.
> export: Command not found.
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable.

This looks really like csh is trying to interpret bash commands. In case SGE's queue is set up to have "shell_start_mode posix_compliant" set, the first line of the script is not treated in a special way. You can change the shell only by "-S /bin/bash" then (or redefine the queue to have "shell_start_mode unix_behavior" set and get the expected behavior when starting a script [side effect: the shell is not started as login shell any longer. See also `man sge_conf` => "login_shells" for details]).

BTW: you don't want a tight integration by intention?

-- Reuti