From: Dave Love (d.love_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-27 18:49:41

Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Torque+Maui, SGE/OGE, and Slurm are free.

[OGE certainly wasn't free, but it apparently no longer exists --
another thing Oracle screwed up and eventually dumped.]

> If you build the queue system with cpuset control, a node can be
> shared among several jobs, but the cpus/cores will be assigned
> specifically
> to each job's processes, so that nobody steps on each other toes.

Actually there's no need for cpusets unless jobs are badly-behaved and
escape their bindings. Core binding by the resource manager, inherited
by OMPI, is typically enough. (Note that, as far as I know, cpusets are
Linux-specific now Irix is dead along with its better support for
resource management.)

Anyhow, yes you should use a resource manager even with only trivial
scheduling.

--
Community Grid Engine:  http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/