Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI-ROMIO-OrangeFS
From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-27 11:20:15

On 2/27/2014 9:44 AM, Dave Love wrote:
> Edgar Gabriel <gabriel_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> so we had ROMIO working with PVFS2 (not OrangeFS, which is however
>> registered as PVFS2 internally). We have one cluster which uses
>> OrangeFS, on that machine however we used OMPIO, not ROMIO.
>
> [What's OMPIO, and should we want it?]

OMPIO is the 'native' implementation of MPI I/O in Open MPI, its however
only available from the 1.7 series onwards.

I am still looking into the PVFS2 with ROMIO problem with the 1.6
series, where (as I mentioned yesterday) the problem I am having right
now is that the data is wrong. Not sure what causes it, but since I have
teach this afternoon again, it might be friday until I can digg into that.

Thanks
Edgar

> This is another vote for working 1.6.5 romio with orangefs -- or pvfs2
> if the re-branded version won't work. It seems particularly attractive
> for use on a system that was mistakenly bought with just NFS, especially
> if it can be spun up in user space practically.
>
> I got OMPI built for 1.6.5 with the two obvious patches from the repo,
> but it sounds as though that's not good enough.
>
> 1.6 is required for compatibility with RHEL6, by the way.

Edgar Gabriel
Associate Professor
Parallel Software Technologies Lab      http://pstl.cs.uh.edu
Department of Computer Science          University of Houston
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Houston, TX-77204, USA
Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335