Subject: Re: [OMPI users] writev error: Bad address
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-06 15:07:49

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:32 PM, Ross Boylan <ross_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Yes. And it seems the recommended one for this purpose is 1.7, not 1.6.

1.7.4 is our newest feature series release. 1.6.5 is the most recent super-stable release.

We should be rolling 1.7.x to 1.8 within a few months.

> What should happen if I try to transmit something big? At least in my case it was probably under 4G, which might be some kind of boundary (though it's a 64 bit system).

OMPI should be able to transmit whatever size you send. Note that the MPI API specifies a "count" parameter as an "int", so it can typically go up to 2B before rolling over to a negative number. For example, if you send 2B MPI_INTs:

    MPI_Send(buf, 2^30, MPI_INT, ...);

that will end up sending 2B*sizeof(int) = 8B bytes across the network.