Subject: Re: [OMPI users] opal_os_dirpath_create: Error: Unable to create the, sub-directory
From: Eric Chamberland (Eric.Chamberland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 16:13:12

On 02/03/2014 03:59 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:
> Very strange - even if you kill the job with SIGTERM, or have processes that segfault, OMPI should clean itself up and remove those session directories. Granted, the 1.6 series isn't as good about doing so as the 1.7 series, but it at least to-date has done pretty well.

Ok, one more information here that may matter: All sequential tests are
launched *without* mpiexec... I don't know if the "cleanup" phase is
done by mpiexec or the binaries...

> Best I can suggest for now is to do the following in your test script:
>
> (1) set TMPDIR=</tmp/regression>
>
> (2) run your tests
>
> (3) rm -rf /tmp/regression/*
>
> That will ensure you only blow away the session dirs from your regression tests. Hopefully, you'll find the directory empty more often than not...

Ok, I just added:

find /tmp/openmpi-sessions-${USER}* -maxdepth 1 -type f -exec rm {} \;

which should delete files that shouldn't exists... ;-)

But, IMHO, I still think OpenMPI should "choose" another directory name
if it can't create it because a poor file exists!

How can all users be aware that they have to cleanup such files?

Maybe a good compromise would be to have the error message to tell there
is a file with the same name of the directory chosen?

Or add a new entry to the FAQ to help users find the workaround you
proposed... ;-)

thanks again!

Eric