Subject: Re: [OMPI users] What's the status of OpenMPI and thread safety?
From: Pablo Barrio (pbarrio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 07:34:14

Hi all, this is the first time I post to the list (although I have read
it for a while now). I hope this helps.

I'm heavily using MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE on multicores (sm BTL) and my
programs work fine from a CORRECTNESS point of view. I use OpenMPI 1.6
(SVN rev. 26429) and pthreads on Linux.

This said, the performance is still very poor. Some of my programs
become a thousand times slower. After some profiling/tracing, I found
out that the Linux scheduler gave CPU time to threads stuck in blocking
calls (Ssend, Recv, Wait, etcetera). It seems to me that the MPI
implementation can be improved to avoid spending CPU time in threads
waiting for messages.

In short, my experience is that the implementation is correct but not
very efficient so far.

I have a few questions:

     1. My OpenMPI version is more than a year old. Have these
performance issues been fixed in the latest versions?

     2. If not, perhaps I could contribute to OpenMPI multithreading
support. Who takes care of this? How can I help?

Thanks ahead.

--
Pablo Barrio
Dpt. Electrical Engineering - Technical University of Madrid