Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI process hangs if OpenMPI is compiled with --enable-thread-multiple
From: Pierre Jolivet (jolivet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-25 19:04:31

Ralph, it is pretty easy to know what Homebrew uses, c.f. https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/open-mpi.rb (sorry if you meant something else).

> Pierre provided a link to MacPorts saying that all of the following
> options were needed to properly enable threads.
>
> --enable-event-thread-support --enable-opal-multi-threads --enable-orte-progress-threads --enable-mpi-thread-multiple
>
> If that is indeed the case, and if passing some subset of these options
> results in deadlock, it's not exactly user-friendly.
>
> Maybe --enable-mpi-thread-multiple is enough, in which case MacPorts is
> doing something needlessly complicated and Pierre's link was a red
> herring?

That is very likely, though on the other hand, Homebrew is doing something pretty straightforward. I just wanted a quick and easy fix back when I had the same hanging issue, but there should be a better explanation if --enable-mpi-thread-multiple is indeed enough.

Pierre