Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_File_write hangs on NFS-mounted filesystem
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-07 13:03:09

Hi Steven, Dmytry

Not sure if this web page is still valid or totally out of date,
but there it goes anyway, in the hopes that it may help:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/mpich1-old/docs/install/node38.htm

On the other hand, one expert seems to dismiss NFS
for paralllel IO:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2008/07/6125.php

I must say that this has been a gray area for me too.
It would be nice if MPI - or the various MPIs -
documentation told us a bit more clearly what types of
underlying file system support MPI parallel IO:
local disk (ext?, xfs, etc), NFS mounts,
the various parallel file systems (PVFS/OrangeFS, Lustre,
GlusterFS, etc).
And perhaps provide some setup information, plus
functionality, and performance comparisons.

My two cents,
Gus Correa