Subject: Re: [OMPI users] running an open mpi application on hadoop ??
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-03 00:29:29

Those are quite different questions. MPI on Hadoop (if you mean using MPI from within a Hadoop application) isn't really possible at the moment, but will be soon.

MPI in a cloud environment is certainly doable - some of the folks on this list have reported using it with success on Amazon, for example. There are a few things you need to do to work thru the security firewalls, but it works okay once you do - not the best performance, but still workable.

Some of the references on this subject in our user mailing list are a bit old, but still might be useful:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2013/04/21678.php

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2012/01/18152.php

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2012/03/18804.php