Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compiling OpenMPI 1.7.x with core afinity
From: Patrick Begou (Patrick.Begou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-21 12:25:15

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> Can you manually install a recent version of hwloc (http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/) on kareline, and run lstopo on it? Send the output here.
>
> What kind of machine is kareline?
>

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Patrick Begou <Patrick.Begou_at_[hidden]>

kareline (front-end) is a R720XD and the nodes are C6100 sleds from DELL. All is
running with Rocks-Cluster (based on RHEL6).
The install of hwloc and numactl was requested I think for OpenMPI 1.7.x. It was
installed on the front-end (without the devel packages that OpenMPI seams to
request at compile time) but not on the nodes.

At this time I was using cpusets and fake numa in the kernel to control cpu and
memory use by the users (if someone request 2 cores and uses the whole node
memory it can break other people's jobs).

Now OpenMPI 1.7.3 compiles and --bind-to-core or --bind-to-socket seams to work
fine (I still have to check in death tomorrow).

I was needing to compile OpenMPI
- to use my Intel infiniband architecture
- because I have started to modify OpenMPI to interface it with my job scheduler
(http://oar.imag.fr/dokuwiki/doku.php). My small modifications are working but I
think they do not agree with the development concept of OpenMPI as I put all the
stuff (20 lines) in orte/tools/orterun/orterun.c. I have to understand many
concepts in OpenMPI development to contribute safely to this software (with a
--use-oar may be) and it should be discussed later on the developper's forum.

Thanks all for your help.

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou_at_[hidden] |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |