Open MPI logo

Open MPI User's Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Open MPI User's mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI users] users Digest, Vol 2696, Issue 1
From: Yin Zhao (yin_zhao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-03 11:17:51


Hi all,

Does anybody have done experiments comparing the speed between mpich and openmpi?

Best regards,
Yin Zhao

> ÔÚ 2013Äê10ÔÂ3ÈÕ£¬0:00£¬users-request_at_[hidden] дµÀ£º
>
> Send users mailing list submissions to
> users_at_[hidden]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> users-request_at_[hidden]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> users-owner_at_[hidden]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Error compiling openmpi-1.9a1r29292 (Jeff Squyres (jsquyres))
> 2. Re: non-functional mpif90 compiler (Gus Correa)
> 3. Re: non-functional mpif90 compiler (Jeff Squyres (jsquyres))
> 4. CUDA-aware usage (Rolf vandeVaart)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 18:38:15 +0000
> From: "Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> To: Siegmar Gross <Siegmar.Gross_at_[hidden]>, Open MPI
> Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Error compiling openmpi-1.9a1r29292
> Message-ID:
> <EF66BBEB19BADC41AC8CCF5F684F07FC4F913CAE_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> These should now be fixed.
>
>> On Sep 30, 2013, at 3:41 AM, Siegmar Gross <Siegmar.Gross_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today I tried to install openmpi-1.9a1r29292 on my platforms
>> (openSuSE 12.1 Linux x86_64, Solaris 10 x86_64, and Solaris 10 Sparc)
>> with Sun C 5.12 and gcc-4.8.0. I have the following error on all
>> platforms, when I compile a 32- or 64-bit version with Sun C.
>>
>> ...
>> PPFC mpi-f08-interfaces.lo
>>
>> module mpi_f08_interfaces
>> ^
>> "../../../../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/ompi/mpi/fortran/base/mpi-f08-interfaces.F90",
>> Line = 19, Column = 8: ERROR: The compiler has detected
>> errors in module "MPI_F08_INTERFACES". No module information
>> file will be created for this module.
>>
>> use :: mpi_f08_types, only : MPI_Datatype, MPI_Comm, MPI_Aint,
>> MPI_ADDRESS_KIND
>> ^
>> "../../../../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/ompi/mpi/fortran/base/mpi-f08-interfaces.F90",
>> Line = 4419, Column = 57: ERROR: "MPI_AINT" is not in module "MPI_F08_TYPES".
>>
>> f90comp: 4622 SOURCE LINES
>> f90comp: 2 ERRORS, 0 WARNINGS, 0 OTHER MESSAGES, 0 ANSI
>> make[2]: *** [mpi-f08-interfaces.lo] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `.../openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.64_cc/ompi/mpi/fortran/base'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `.../openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.64_cc/ompi'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> linpc1 openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.64_cc 122
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I have the following error on all platforms, when I compile a 32-bit
>> version with gcc-4.8.0.
>>
>> linpc1 openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc 120 tail -150 log.make.Linux.x86_64.32_gcc
>> Making all in mca/spml
>> make[2]: Entering directory `/export2/src/openmpi-1.9/openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc/oshmem/mca/spml'
>> CC base/spml_base_frame.lo
>> CC base/spml_base_select.lo
>> CC base/spml_base_request.lo
>> CC base/spml_base_atomicreq.lo
>> CC base/spml_base_getreq.lo
>> CC base/spml_base_putreq.lo
>> CC base/spml_base.lo
>> CCLD libmca_spml.la
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/export2/src/openmpi-1.9/openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc/oshmem/mca/spml'
>> Making all in .
>> make[2]: Entering directory `/export2/src/openmpi-1.9/openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc/oshmem'
>> CC op/op.lo
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c: In function 'oshmem_op_max_freal16_func':
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:15: error: 'a' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:194:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __max_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:15: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:194:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __max_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:194:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __max_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:15: error: 'b' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:194:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __max_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:194:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __max_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c: In function 'oshmem_op_min_freal16_func':
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:15: error: 'a' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:211:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(min, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __min_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:211:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(min, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __min_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:15: error: 'b' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:211:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(min, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __min_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:211:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(min, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __min_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c: In function 'oshmem_op_sum_freal16_func':
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:15: error: 'a' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:230:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(sum, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __sum_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:230:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(sum, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __sum_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:15: error: 'b' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:230:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(sum, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __sum_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:230:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(sum, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __sum_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c: In function 'oshmem_op_prod_freal16_func':
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:15: error: 'a' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:249:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(prod, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __prod_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:134:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *a = (type *) in; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:249:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(prod, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __prod_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:15: error: 'b' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:249:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(prod, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __prod_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:135:26: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> type *b = (type *) out; \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:249:1: note: in expansion of macro 'FUNC_OP_CREATE'
>> FUNC_OP_CREATE(prod, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, __prod_op);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c: In function 'oshmem_op_init':
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:149:62: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> oshmem_op_##name##_##type_name->dt_size = sizeof(type); \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:302:5: note: in expansion of macro 'OBJ_OP_CREATE'
>> OBJ_OP_CREATE(max, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, OSHMEM_OP_MAX, OSHMEM_OP_TYPE_FREAL16);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:149:62: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> oshmem_op_##name##_##type_name->dt_size = sizeof(type); \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:318:5: note: in expansion of macro 'OBJ_OP_CREATE'
>> OBJ_OP_CREATE(min, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, OSHMEM_OP_MIN, OSHMEM_OP_TYPE_FREAL16);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:149:62: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> oshmem_op_##name##_##type_name->dt_size = sizeof(type); \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:336:5: note: in expansion of macro 'OBJ_OP_CREATE'
>> OBJ_OP_CREATE(sum, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, OSHMEM_OP_SUM, OSHMEM_OP_TYPE_FREAL16);
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:149:62: error: expected expression before ')' token
>> oshmem_op_##name##_##type_name->dt_size = sizeof(type); \
>> ^
>> ../../openmpi-1.9a1r29292/oshmem/op/op.c:354:5: note: in expansion of macro 'OBJ_OP_CREATE'
>> OBJ_OP_CREATE(prod, freal16, ompi_fortran_real16_t, OSHMEM_OP_PROD, OSHMEM_OP_TYPE_FREAL16);
>> ^
>> make[2]: *** [op/op.lo] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/export2/src/openmpi-1.9/openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc/oshmem'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/export2/src/openmpi-1.9/openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc/oshmem'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> linpc1 openmpi-1.9a1r29292-Linux.x86_64.32_gcc 121
>>
>>
>> I would be grateful, if somebody can fix the problems. Thank you very
>> much for your help in advance.
>>
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Siegmar
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> users mailing list
>> users_at_[hidden]
>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> For corporate legal information go to: http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 15:07:42 -0400
> From: Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]>
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] non-functional mpif90 compiler
> Message-ID: <524B1D7E.7040508_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Hi Damiano
>
> Glad to know you sorted out the problem with
> your environment variables.
> Home-brewed Open MPI tastes much better
> than those six-pack canned RPMs.
> Did OpenFOAM (was it OpenFoam?) eventually compile and run?
>
> Thanks Jeff for clarifying where is the hurdle (on Infiniband)
> when one tries to build Open MPI as group of static libraries.
> I tried to build OMPI static, and had failures in the past.
> I eventually gave up, but it was never clear why it would fail
> (although the error messages suggested that IB played a role).
> However, all my attempts were on machines with Infinband hardware.
>
> Good to know that one can build OMPI static on TCP/IP machines.
> And presumably also on (non-IB) standalone machines that will
> only use the shared memory features of OMPI).
> This may (or may not?) be useful when one intends to run MPI
> programs in a single box.
> (I wonder if this is what Damiano plans to do.)
>
> I know these questions may be somewhat off-topic,
> but from the standpoint of performance,
> once upon a time there was a popular wisdom that
> static linking produced faster executables
> than when linking to shared libraries
> (static producing larger executables, though).
> Is this "static is faster" view still valid?
> Does it apply to Open MPI in particular?
> Was it ever true?
>
> Many thanks,
> Gus Correa
>
>> On 10/01/2013 05:16 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
>> If you are using a TCP network for MPI communications,static is fine.
>>
>> However, if you're trying to use an OS-bypass network such as
>> InfiniBand, RoCE, or iWARP, using static libraries can be
>> somewhat of a nightmare (because of how the OpenFabrics Verbs
>> support libraries work).
>> Specifically, I don't see the "openib" BTL plugin in your
>> ompi_info output, meaning that your Open MPI installation
>> is not capable of using InfiniBand/RoCE/iWARP.
>>
>> So just be aware that with your current builds,
>> you're basically TCP-only.
>>
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2013, at 3:34 AM, Damiano Natali<damiano.natali_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Gus, today I noticed there was another ompi directory in my path and maybe it gave some strange errors so I put the new ompi installation at the first place in PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH before the building and everything went nicely!
>>>
>>> So, as you and Jeff said, the problem was in having the rigth paths!
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your support!
>>>
>>> Damiano
>>>
>>> p.s. Building static libraries didn't result in any problem so far!
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> users mailing list
>>> users_at_[hidden]
>>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 19:19:01 +0000
> From: "Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] non-functional mpif90 compiler
> Message-ID:
> <EF66BBEB19BADC41AC8CCF5F684F07FC4F913FB9_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>> On Oct 1, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Jeff for clarifying where is the hurdle (on Infiniband)
>> when one tries to build Open MPI as group of static libraries.
>> I tried to build OMPI static, and had failures in the past.
>> I eventually gave up, but it was never clear why it would fail
>> (although the error messages suggested that IB played a role).
>> However, all my attempts were on machines with Infinband hardware.
>
> If you care:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=mpi-apps#static-mpi-apps
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=mpi-apps#static-ofa-mpi-apps
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> For corporate legal information go to: http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:43:03 -0700
> From: Rolf vandeVaart <rvandevaart_at_[hidden]>
> To: "users_at_[hidden]" <users_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: [OMPI users] CUDA-aware usage
> Message-ID:
> <3AF945EBF4D3EC41AFE44EED9B0585F36007BE899D_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> We have done some work over the last year or two to add some CUDA-aware support into the Open MPI library. Details on building and using the feature are here.
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-cuda
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#mpi-cuda-support
>
> I am looking for any feedback on this feature from anyone who has taken advantage of it. You can send just send the response to me if you want and I will compile the feedback.
>
> Rolf
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
> is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
> reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -------------- next part --------------
> HTML attachment scrubbed and removed
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of users Digest, Vol 2696, Issue 1
> **************************************