Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Mixing Linux's CPU-shielding with mpirun's bind-to-core
From: Dave Love (d.love_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-21 13:50:43

John Hearns <hearnsj_at_[hidden]> writes:

> You really should install a job scheduler.

Indeed (although it's the resource management component that does the
job).

> There are free versions.
>
> I'm not sure about cpuset support in Gridengine. Anyone?

Yes, but I've had reports of problems (races?) that I haven't sorted out
yet.

I wouldn't bother anyway. Just use core binding supplied by the
resource manager with well-behaved jobs (Use "-binding linear:slots"
with the current SGE, assuming you want to pack arbitrary jobs onto
nodes.) Cpusets help with badly-behaved jobs, but don't have much to
offer over core binding with well-behaved ones. "Well-behaved" means
they request the right number of slots, don't daemonize, and don't try
to escape the binding they're handed; that includes simple OMPI ones
with tight integration working properly. If you really care about
avoiding specific cores (why?), you could submit other jobs to block them.

["CPU-shielding" is a new one on me.]

--
Community Grid Engine:  http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/