Subject: [OMPI users] Re-locate OpenMPI installation on OS X
From: Eric Heien (emheien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-15 19:33:02

Hello,

I'm compiling OpenMPI 1.6.5 on a set of different machines with different operating systems. I install OpenMPI in directory A, then later move it to directory B and compile my own code with mpicc or mpic++. Of course I need to set the OPAL_PREFIX environment variable to point to directory B. This works fine on all my platforms (RedHat, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc) but still fails on Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 with the following error:

[xxx] ~ > env | grep OPAL
OPAL_PREFIX=/Users/eheien/B/
[xxx] ~ > mpicc
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/eheien/A/lib/libopen-pal.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/eheien/B/bin/mpicc
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

It appears the libopen-pal path is hardcoded into the opal_wrapper on OS X (I can also find it in the binary). Does this sound like correct behavior? If so, is there a way to get this to work correctly with OPAL_PREFIX like it does on the other operating systems?

Thank you for your help,

-Eric