Subject: Re: [OMPI users] opening a file with MPI-IO
From: Peter van Hoof (p.vanhoof_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-17 09:08:22

Hi Edgar,

> wow, lets try again in english :-)
>
> can you maybe detail more precisely what scenario you are particularly
> worried about? I would think that the return code of the operation
> is reliable on whether opening the file was successful or not (i.e.
> MPI_SUCCESS vs. anything else).

If I open the file for reading, I need to know if the file existed or
not, and therefore if the call to MPI::File::Open() was successful or
not. There may also be more obscure reasons for a call to fail I
guess.... The C++ versions of the library do not return any success or
failure codes. The return value is the file handle. But as far as I can
see there is no method in MPI::File to determine if the handle is valid
or not.

Cheers,

Peter.

> On 5/17/2013 7:55 AM, Edgar Gabriel wrote:
>> can you maybe detail more precisely what scenario you are particularly
>> worried about? I would think that the return code of the operation
>> should be reliable on whether opening the file successful or (i.e.
>> MPI_SUCCESS vs. anything else).
>>
>> Edgar
>>
>> On 5/17/2013 4:00 AM, Peter van Hoof wrote:
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> I have been banging my head against the wall for some time to find a
>>> reliable and portable way to determine if a call to MPI::File::Open()
>>> was successful or not.
>>>
>>> Let me give some background information first. We develop an open-source
>>> astrophysical modeling code called Cloudy. This is used by many
>>> scientists on a variety of platforms. We obviously have no control over
>>> the MPI version that is installed on that platform, it may not even be
>>> open-MPI. So what we need is a method that is supported by all MPI distros.
>>>
>>> Our code is written in C++, so we use the C++ version of the MPI and
>>> MPI-IO libraries.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter.