Subject: Re: [OMPI users] distributed file system
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-16 12:18:08

With the minor caveat that a sentence in the link below
still points to o'l LAM. :)

"... when the time comes to patch or otherwise upgrade LAM, ..."

If you have a NFS shared file system,
if the architecture and OS are the same across the nodes,
if your cluster isn't too big (for NFS latency to have an impact),
it is much easier to install Open MPI on the NFS share
than to install it on all nodes.
One installation only to take care of.
Specially if you need different Open MPI builds for different
compilers, etc.
If you don't have NFS, it is worth to install
it beforehand and to use it.

I hope it helps,
Gus Correa

On 05/16/2013 11:38 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> See http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#where-to-install
>

> On May 16, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Ralph Castain<rhc_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> no, as long as ompi is installed in same location on each machine
>>
>> On May 16, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Reza Bakhshayeshi<reza.b2008_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Do we need distributed file system (like NFS) when running MPI program on multiple machines?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Reza