Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_SUM is not defined on the MPI_INTEGER datatype
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-15 20:12:08

I am unable to replicate your error -- 1.6.4 has MPI_REDUCE defined on MPI_SUM properly.

Are you absolutely sure you're using OMPI 1.6.4 on all nodes?

Try this:

    mpirun ... ompi_info

(insert whatever hostfile and -np value you're using for your fortran test) and see what is reported as the OMPI version from other nodes.

On May 15, 2013, at 7:46 AM, Hayato KUNIIE <kuni255_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I using Ver, 1.6.4 in all nodes.
>
> (2013/05/15 7:10), Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
>> Are you sure that you have exactly the same version of Open MPI on all your nodes?
>>

>> On May 14, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Hayato KUNIIE <kuni255_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello I'm kuni255
>>>
>>> I build bewulf type PC Cluster (Cent OS release 6.4). And I studing
>>> about MPI.(Open MPI Ver.1.6.4) I tried following sample which using
>>> MPI_REDUCE.
>>>
>>> Then, Error occured.
>>>
>>> This cluster system consist of one head node and 2 slave nodes.
>>> And sharing home directory in head node by NFS. so Open MPI is installed
>>> each nodes.
>>>
>>> When I test this program on only head node, program is run correctly.
>>> and output result.
>>> But When I test this program on only slave node, same error occured.
>>>
>>> Please tell me, good idea : )
>>>
>>> Error message
>>> [bwslv01:30793] *** An error occurred in MPI_Reduce: the reduction
>>> operation MPI_SUM is not defined on the MPI_INTEGER datatype
>>> [bwslv01:30793] *** on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
>>> [bwslv01:30793] *** MPI_ERR_OP: invalid reduce operation
>>> [bwslv01:30793] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL: your MPI job will now abort
>>> mpirun has exited due to process rank 1 with PID 30793 on
>>> node bwslv01 exiting improperly. There are two reasons this could occur:
>>>
>>> 1. this process did not call "init" before exiting, but others in
>>> the job did. This can cause a job to hang indefinitely while it waits
>>> for all processes to call "init". By rule, if one process calls "init",
>>> then ALL processes must call "init" prior to termination.
>>>
>>> 2. this process called "init", but exited without calling "finalize".
>>> By rule, all processes that call "init" MUST call "finalize" prior to
>>> exiting or it will be considered an "abnormal termination"
>>>
>>> This may have caused other processes in the application to be
>>> terminated by signals sent by mpirun (as reported here).
>>> [bwhead.clnet:02147] 1 more process has sent help message
>>> help-mpi-errors.txt / mpi_errors_are_fatal
>>> [bwhead.clnet:02147] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0
>>> to see all help / error messages
>>>

>>> Fortran90 source code
>>> include 'mpif.h'
>>> parameter(nmax=12)
>>> integer n(nmax)
>>>
>>> call mpi_init(ierr)
>>> call mpi_comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD, isize, ierr)
>>> call mpi_comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, irank, ierr)
>>> ista=irank*(nmax/isize) + 1
>>> iend=ista+(nmax/isize-1)
>>> isum=0
>>> do i=1,nmax
>>> n(i) = i
>>> isum = isum + n(i)
>>> end do
>>> call mpi_reduce(isum, itmp, 1, MPI_INTEGER, MPI_SUM,
>>> & 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)
>>>
>>> if (irank == 0) then
>>> isum=itmp
>>> WRITE(*,*) isum