Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Building Open MPI with LSF
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-07 11:55:37

On May 7, 2013, at 7:09 AM, Andrey Rubshtein <andrey.rubshtein_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I want to install OpenMPI on LSF cluster in our organization. I am not proficient with Linux/LSF, and some of my questions might be from lack of understanding of the system, and not related to OpenMPI directly.
> So far I found these bits of information on the site of OpenMPI
> 1. OpenMPI support for 1.6 seems to be broken, and was fixed maybe in 1.7?

It is indeed fixed in 1.7 - we will look at backporting a fix to 1.6

> 2. The installation on LSF is supposed to be easy:

So I'm told - I've never tried it myself.

> My questions are:
> 1. What is the latest stable version that is known to integrate in a native way with LSF?

I presume the 1.4 series

> 2. When building with LSF support, in what directory should I run the ./configure and makes scripts from? Should I be logined into one of the hosts of LSF cluster?

You need to be on a node where LSF libraries have been installed so we can link against them

> 3. Will these scripts copy openmpi shared libraries into each host on the cluster?

No - you either have to install to an NFS mount, or copy them yourself

> 4. Where will the mpi compiler be after the installation? What include pathes and libraries should I add to my C++ project to compile a simple MPI program?

It will be in whatever prefix you give to configure, under the "bin" subdirectory. There will be a wrapper compiler that you can use to build your program