Subject: Re: [OMPI users] QLogic HCA random crash after prolonged use
From: Elken, Tom (tom.elken_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-24 12:52:52

> > Intel has acquired the InfiniBand assets of QLogic
> > about a year ago. These SDR HCAs are no longer supported, but should
> > still work.
[Tom]
I guess the more important part of what I wrote is that " These SDR HCAs are no longer supported" :)

> Do you mean they should work with the latest infinipath libraries
> (despite what it said or implied in the notes for last version I got
> from QLogic?) or possibly what's in RHEL? I thought I'd actually tried
> and failed with later stuff, but may just have gone by the release notes.
[Tom]
Some testing from an Intel group who had these QLE7140 HCAs revealed to me that they do _not_ work with our recent software stack such as IFS 7.1.1 (which includes OFED 1.5.4.1) .

They were able to get them to work with the QLogic OFED+ 6.0.2 stack. That corresponds to OFED 1.5.2 -- that was the first OFED to include PSM.
I am providing this info as a courtesy, but not making any guarantees that it will work.

> > You can get the driver (ib_qib) and PSM library from OFED 1.5.4.1 or
> > the current release OFED 3.5.
>
> I wonder if there's a version of the driver that's known to work in a
> current RHEL5 system with QLE7140. We get frequent qib-related kernel
> panics from a vanilla RHEL5.9 kernel
[Tom]
The older QLogic and OFED stacks mentioned above were not ported to nor tested with RHEL 5.9, which did not exist at the time. Sorry.

 -- after running OK under test for
> a few weeks, and nothing relevant appearing to have changed to cause
> it... (There's a trace on the redhat bugzilla with qib in the issue
> title, for what it's worth.) I'm currently reverting to old stuff.
>
> It's good if Infinipath-land is taking an interest in OMPI again, and
> that the libraries are now under a free licence.
[Tom]
Thanks,
Tom