Subject: Re: [OMPI users] QLogic HCA random crash after prolonged use
From: Dave Love (d.love_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-24 11:58:27

"Elken, Tom" <tom.elken_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> I have seen it recommended to use psm instead of openib for QLogic cards.
> [Tom]
> Yes. PSM will perform better and be more stable when running OpenMPI
> than using verbs.

But unfortunately you won't be able to checkpoint.

> Intel has acquired the InfiniBand assets of QLogic
> about a year ago. These SDR HCAs are no longer supported, but should
> still work.

Do you mean they should work with the latest infinipath libraries
(despite what it said or implied in the notes for last version I got
from QLogic?) or possibly what's in RHEL? I thought I'd actually tried
and failed with later stuff, but may just have gone by the release notes.

> You can get the driver (ib_qib) and PSM library from OFED 1.5.4.1 or
> the current release OFED 3.5.

I wonder if there's a version of the driver that's known to work in a
current RHEL5 system with QLE7140. We get frequent qib-related kernel
panics from a vanilla RHEL5.9 kernel -- after running OK under test for
a few weeks, and nothing relevant appearing to have changed to cause
it... (There's a trace on the redhat bugzilla with qib in the issue
title, for what it's worth.) I'm currently reverting to old stuff.

It's good if Infinipath-land is taking an interest in OMPI again, and
that the libraries are now under a free licence.