Subject: Re: [OMPI users] memory per core/process
From: Duke Nguyen (duke.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-02 11:40:17

On 3/30/13 8:46 PM, Patrick Bégou wrote:
> Ok, so your problem is identified as a stack size problem. I went into
> these limitations using Intel fortran compilers on large data problems.
>
> First, it seems you can increase your stack size as "ulimit -s
> unlimited" works (you didn't enforce the system hard limit). The best
> way is to set this setting in your .bashrc file so it will works on
> every node.
> But setting it to unlimited may not be really safe. IE, if you got in
> a badly coded recursive function calling itself without a stop
> condition you can request all the system memory and crash the node. So
> set a large but limited value, it's safer.

Now I feel the pain you mentioned :). With -s unlimited now some of our
nodes are easily down (completely) and needed to be hard reset!!!
(whereas we never had any node down like that before even with the
killed or badly coded jobs).

Looking for a safer number of ulimit -s other than "unlimited" now... :(