Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Which MPI data types correspond to ptrdiff_t and to size_t in C?
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-14 15:02:41

Hi George

I see the problem you pointed out, on binding the MPI types
to the specific (pointer) sizes in a heterogeneous environment.
However, I would MPI_Aint would be in trouble in heterogeneous
environments as well?
I mean, can we safely pass MPI_AINT back
and forth across 32-bit and 64-bit machines?
[I would guess not, one side would be chopped off anyway, right?]

No, no, I am not assuming that portability is any easy.
We try to make things portable as possible, a 'best effort' thing,
within reasonable limits.
I am glad all machines I am using now are 64-bit. :)

Thank you,
Gus Correa

On 03/14/2013 02:52 PM, George Bosilca wrote:
> The short answer is yes.
However, this answer is wrong in a heterogeneous environment.
Suppose one rank is a 32 bits process, and the size_t is 4 bytes,
while another one is 64 bits with a size_t of 8 bytes.
If you correlate the sizeof(size_t) with the type you
use for a communication, then one process will use
MPI_UINT32_T while the other MPI_UINT64_t.
Based on the typemap matching rules defined by MPI,
there will be no automatic (MPI-based) conversion
between these two types.

> I'm just pointing out that the portability in MPI
is sometimes not as straightforward as one might assume.