Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Which MPI data types correspond to ptrdiff_t and to size_t in C?
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-14 14:52:03

The short answer is yes. However, this answer is wrong in a heterogeneous environment. Suppose one rank is a 32 bits process, and the size_t is 4 bytes, while another one is 64 bits with a size_t of 8 bytes. If you correlate the sizeof(size_t) with the type you use for a communication, then one process will use MPI_UINT32_T while the other MPI_UINT64_t. Based on the typemap matching rules defined by MPI, there will be no automatic (MPI-based) conversion between these two types.

I'm just pointing out that the portability in MPI is sometimes not as straightforward as one might assume.

  George.

On Mar 14, 2013, at 15:09 , Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Many thanks, George!
>
> I passed MPI_AINT to the MPI functions,
> along with the ptrdiff_t buffers,
> and it worked right, at least for the modest
> buffer sizes I tried.
>
> I haven't got to size_t buffers yet, but if I understood right,
> your suggestion for size_t buffers would be to
> use MPI_UINT64_T as MPI data type on 64-bit machines, right?
> [Probably MPI_UINT32_T on 32-bit, I presume.]
>
> Thank you,
> Gus Correa
>
> On 03/13/2013 07:42 PM, George Bosilca wrote:
>> MPI_Aint is always signed, as it is supposed to be able to
> hold any relative difference between two memory locations.
> This it is a good match for ptrdiff_t.
>>
>> There is no direct match for size_t, at least not
> directly exposed by the MPI standard
> (using the MPI-2.2 POSIX types, e.g MPI_UINT64_T).
> My understanding is that size_t is unsigned,
> and ssize_t is the signed synonym.
>>
>> George.
>>

>> On Mar 13, 2013, at 23:30 , Gus Correa<gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Open MPI Pros
>>>
>>> Which MPI data type corresponds to ptrdiff_t in C?
>>> I guess the same question can be asked about size_t.
>>>
>>> The FFTW3.3 MPI API has lots of stuff declared as
>>> ptrdiff_t, and I need to pass them around with MPI,
>>> hopefully without size or sign mistakes.
>>>
>>> I am using Open MPI 1.6.3, if this matters.
>>> My C goes as far as ABC, and in my naive view
>>> ptrdiff_t is signed and has 64-bits on my x86_64 Linux computer,
>>> whereas size_t is unsigned also 64-bits, right?
>>>
>>> If I grep mpi.h for ptrdiff I see that OPAL_PTRDIFF_TYPE is
>>> MPI_Aint, which is indeed an MPI pointer/address type.
>>> However, this is OPAL, not generic MPI.
>>> Moreover, MPI_Aint seems to be unsigned, right?
>>> [And this would make it a bad match for ptrdiff_t,
>>> but maybe a good match for size_t.]
>>> Or is MPI_Aint signed?
>>>
>>> [grep result:]
>>> 147:/* type to use for ptrdiff_t, if it does not exist, set to ptrdiff_t if it does exist */
>>> 148:#define OPAL_PTRDIFF_TYPE ptrdiff_t
>>> 218:/* include for ptrdiff_t */