Subject: [OMPI users] Intel MKL PARDISO seg. faults wrapping it around MPI_INIT/MPI_FINALIZE
From: Alberto F. Martín-Huertas (amartin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-13 06:58:58

 Dear MPI users,

 I have a small serial program that reads a sparse matrix from a file
 and factorizes it
 using the sparse direct solvers included in PARDISO MKL. When I execute
 the program with
 the matrix of interest, PARDISO factorizes it succesfully. No SIGSEV is
 produced. However,
 if I transform this small sequential program to a message-passing
 program (i.e., wrapping its codes
 around MPI_INIT/MPI_FINALIZE and executing it using mpirun -np 1
 PROGRAM) then a SIGSEV appears. Therefore, the problem seems
 to be related to the combination of PARDISO MKL and the message-passing
 environment (OpenMPI).

 Some of the characteritics of the environment are:

    - MPI: OpenMPI 1.5.4 (find attached the output from ompi_info --all)
    - fortran compiler: ifort version 13.0.1
    - Linux Kernel: Linux version 3.0.13-0.27-default (geeko_at_buildhost)
                    (gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973]
 (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Wed Feb 15 13:33:49 UTC 2012 (d73692b)
    - MKL libraries: MKL/13.0.1
    - CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

 I have also reported this issue on the Intel MKL forum,
 and provided a reproducer of the issue on:

 http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/375486

 The "weird" observation is that I could reproduce
 the issue on three machines based on the Intel SandyBridge-based
 multicore-CPUs, while I could not on a pair of non SandyBridge-based
 Intel archictures, using exactly the same software
 stack. I am afraid that Intel SandyBridge-based CPUs have any
 particularity with respect to virtual memory handling that
 cause PARDISO MKL to SIGSEV once MPI_INIT has been called.

 Could u please help me to find the root-cause of this issue?

 Thanks in advance.
 Best regards,
  Alberto.

--
 Alberto F. Martín-Huertas
 Centre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics a l'Enginyeria (CIMNE)