Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Checkpointing an MPI application with OMPI
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-28 12:46:14

On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Maxime Boissonneault <maxime.boissonneault_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello Ralph,
> I agree that ideally, someone would implement checkpointing in the application itself, but that is not always possible (commercial applications, use of complicated libraries, algorithms with no clear progression points at which you can interrupt the algorithm and start it back from there).

Hmmm...well, most apps can be adjusted to support it - we have some very complex apps that were updated that way. Commercial apps are another story, but we frankly don't find much call for checkpointing those as they typically just don't run long enough - especially if you are only running 256 ranks, so your cluster is small. Failure rates just don't justify it in such cases, in our experience.

Is there some particular reason why you feel you need checkpointing?

> There certainly must be a better way to write the information down on disc though. Doing 500 IOPs seems to be completely broken. Why isn't there buffering involved ?

I don't know - that's all done in BLCR, I believe. Either way, it isn't something we can address due to the loss of our supporter for c/r.

Sorry we can't be of more help :-(
Ralph