Subject: [OMPI users] 1.6.2 affinity failures
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-19 19:34:26

Using openmpi 1.6.2 with intel 13.0 though the problem not specific to the compiler.

Using two 12 core 2 socket nodes,

mpirun -np 4 -npersocket 2 uptime
Your job has requested a conflicting number of processes for the
application:

App: uptime
number of procs: 4

This is more processes than we can launch under the following
additional directives and conditions:

number of sockets: 0
npersocket: 2

Any idea why this wouldn't work?

Another problem the following does what I expect, two 2 socket 8 core sockets. 16 total cores/node.

mpirun -np 8 -npernode 4 -bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank 4 hwloc-bind --get
0x0000000f
0x0000000f
0x000000f0
0x000000f0
0x00000f00
0x00000f00
0x0000f000
0x0000f000

But fails at large scale:

mpirun -np 276 -npernode 4 -bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank 4 hwloc-bind --get

An invalid physical processor ID was returned when attempting to bind
an MPI process to a unique processor.

This usually means that you requested binding to more processors than
exist (e.g., trying to bind N MPI processes to M processors, where N >
M). Double check that you have enough unique processors for all the
MPI processes that you are launching on this host.
You job will now abort.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
CAEN Advanced Computing