Subject: [OMPI users] Error in configuring hwloc(hardware locality) on Linux on System Z
From: Shikha Maheshwari (shikha.mah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-13 04:45:53

Hi,

We are trying to build 'hwloc 1.4.2' on Linux on System Z. To build hwloc,
need to perform the following steps:
- ./configure
- gmake all install

We are getting error while performing first step i.e. running configure
script.
error message is :
configure: error: No atomic primitives available for s390x-ibm-linux-gnu

If we investigate configure script, we got to know that it deals with some
assembly related operations in this part. And, switch-case does not cover
Linux on System z architecture (s390/s390x), hence it throws error and
exits.

If we exclude this part (i.e. commented exit part only), configure gets
executed till end and Makefile gets generated.

Questions: We have following questions related to this:

1. Is 'hwloc' supported on Linux on system z?
2. What exactly this assembly part is used for?
3. What functionality will get affected if we exclude this part?

Please assist us.

Thanks & Regards,
Shikha Maheshwari