Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Windows support for OpenMPI
From: Jeffrey A Cummings (Jeffrey.A.Cummings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-07 12:29:39

I would be disappointed to see the Windows support go away. I use it
mostly for debugging, but it's valuable to me for that purpose.

- Jeff Cummings

From: Durga Choudhury <dpchoudh_at_[hidden]>
To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
Date: 12/07/2012 11:33 AM
Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden]

All

Let me reiterate my (minimal, compared to other developers) support to the
OpenMPI project. If all it takes is to build and run regression tests on a
platform to add a feather in the cap, I am willing to do it.

The low interest in Windows platform does not surprise me; most HPC
infrastructures use a Unix-like setup, and those few who do use Windows
likely use Microsoft's own HPC server and MPI stack rather than OpenMPI.

That said, I believe that we should continue supporting Windows for this
one reason, if nothing else: since Windows comes preinstalled on all PCs,
new entrants to the field of computer programming are starting on a
Windows based machine. By providing Windows support for OpenMPI, we will
make the project accessible to the younger generation and ensure they
adopt it when they enter the work force. That is another reason that makes
me think that just because few people asked for it explicitly, few people
are actually using it, as the newbie types usually do not make explicit
requests.

Thanks
Durga

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
Sorry for my late reply; I've been in the MPI Forum and Open MPI
engineering meetings all week. Some points:

1. Yes, it would be a shame to lose all the Windows support that Shiqing
did.

2. Microsoft has told me that they're of the mindset "the more, the
merrier" for their platform (i.e., they'd love to have more than one MPI
on Windows, but probably can't help develop/support Open MPI on windows).
 Makes perfect sense to me.

3. I see that we have 2 volunteers to keep the build support going for the
v1.6 series, and another volunteer to do continued development for v1.7
and beyond. But all of these would need good reasons to go forward
(active Open MPI Windows users, financial support, etc.). It doesn't look
like there is much support.

4. I'm bummed to hear that Windows building is broken in 1.6.x. $%#$%#@!!
 If anyone wants to take a gander at fixing it, I'd love to see your
patches, for nothing other than just maintaining Windows support for the
remainder of the 1.6.x series. But per #3, it may not be worth it.

5. Based on this feedback, it seems like we should remove the Windows
support from the OMPI SVN trunk and all future versions. It can always be
resurrected from SVN history if someone wants to pick up this effort again
in the future.

On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Damien wrote:

> So far, I count three people interested in OpenMPI on Windows. That's
not a case for ongoing support.

> Damien
>
> On 04/12/2012 11:32 AM, Durga Choudhury wrote:
>> All
>>
>> Since I did not see any Microsoft/other 'official' folks pick up the
ball, let me step up. I have been lurking in this list for quite a while
and I am a generic scientific programmer (i.e. I use many frameworks such
as OpenCL/OpenMP etc, not just MPI)
>> Although I am primarily a Linux user, I do own multiple versions of
Visual Studio licenses and have a small cluster that dual boots to
Windows/Linux (and more nodes can be added on demand). I cannot do any
large scale testing on this, but I can build and run regression tests etc.

>> If the community needs the Windows support to continue, I can take up
that responsibility, until a more capable person/group is found at least.

>> Thanks
>> Durga
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Damien <damien_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I completely missed the message about Shiqing departing as the OpenMPI
Windows maintainer. I'll try and keep Windows builds going for 1.6 at
least, I have 2011 and 2013 Intel licenses and VS2008 and 2012, but not
2010. I see that the 1.6.3 code base already doesn't build on Windows in
VS2012 :-(.

>> While I can try and keep builds going, I don't have access to a Windows
cluster right now, and I'm flat out on two other projects. I can test on
my workstation, but that will only go so far. Longer-term, there needs to
be a decision made on whether Windows gets to be a first-class citizen in
OpenMPI or not. Jeff's already told me that 1.7 is lagging behind on
Windows. It would be a shame to have all the work Shiqing put in
gradually decay because it can't be supported enough. If there's any
Microsoft/HPC/Azure folks observing this list, or any other vendors who
run on Windows with OpenMPI, maybe we can see what can be done if you're
interested.

>> Damien

For corporate legal information go to: