Subject: Re: [OMPI users] cluster with iOS or Android devices?
From: shiny knight (theshinyknight_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-30 01:16:42

Thanks for all your replies.

As now I have access to 3 iOS devices and 1 Android, so if possible I would be oriented to pursue more the iOS route.

So it seems that there is not yet a simple way to do so on these devices (Thanks for the paper posted Dominik); I will have to look deeper in that project that you mentioned and wait for some official release (at least for the Android side)

I may install linux distro on a virtual machine; mostly I work on OSX so it should not be that bad (OSX allows me to work with both Android and iOS hassle free; that's why I had the thought to use my devices for MPI).

Beatty: My idea is to use the devices only when plugged in; I was reading a paper about how to use MPI and dynamically change the number of nodes attached, while crunching data for a process. So it would be possible to add and remove nodes on the fly, and was trying to apply it to a portable device (http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~szymansk/papers/ppam05.pdf) before realizing that there is no MPI implementation for them.

I would never envision a system where a user has a device in his pocket that is actually doing "something" behind is back...mine was a simple issue with having devices sitting on my desk, which I use to test my apps, and I could use these devices in a more productive way, while I have them tethered to my main machine (which is the main server where MPI development is done).

Would you mind elaborate on the approach that you mentioned? I never used Xgrid, so I am not sure about how your solution would work.

Thanks!

Lou