Subject: [OMPI users] OpenMPI 1.6.3 and Memory Issues
From: Joseph Farran (jfarran_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-29 17:21:39

Hi All.

In compiling a simple Hello world with OpenMPI 1.6.3 and mpirun the hello program, I am getting:

$ ulimit -l unlimited
$ mpirun -np 2 hello
WARNING: It appears that your OpenFabrics subsystem is configured to only
allow registering part of your physical memory. This can cause MPI jobs to
run with erratic performance, hang, and/or crash.

This may be caused by your OpenFabrics vendor limiting the amount of
physical memory that can be registered. You should investigate the
relevant Linux kernel module parameters that control how much physical
memory can be registered, and increase them to allow registering all
physical memory on your machine.

See this Open MPI FAQ item for more information on these Linux kernel module
parameters:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#ib-locked-pages

   Local host: hpc
   Registerable memory: 4096 MiB
   Total memory: 258470 MiB

Your MPI job will continue, but may be behave poorly and/or hang.
Hello World. I am the Master Node (hpc) with Rank 0.
Hello World. I am compute Node (hpc) with Rank 1
[hpc:08261] 1 more process has sent help message help-mpi-btl-openib.txt / reg mem limit low
[hpc:08261] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to see all help / error messages

I have my limits setup with:
cat /etc/security/limits.conf
* soft memlock unlimited
* hard memlock unlimited