Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Where to start with MPI on OSX?
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-08 18:08:37

Am 08.11.2012 um 23:25 schrieb shiny knight:

> I've discovered MPI recently, and I would like to start to write some applications to use it's potential.
>
> Now the problem is that I use a mac, and I see no tutorials or books that are targeting OSX, so I was wondering if you could give me some pointers about where to find info.
>
> I use Xcode; from what I can understand, MPI uses C, so I need to use a console application template for Xcode. I do not see any wrapper for Objective-C, so I assume that C is the only language used for MPI?

There is also C++ and Fortran support, while the C++ interface is deprecated as the C one will do here too.

> Thanks in advance for any info that you can give me; I really like the idea to use MPI for scientific applications, but I am totally new to this (I have experience in C++ on Windows, and a bit of Objective-C on mac). I would love to see tutorials that explains how to do simple apps on mac using MPI, but if they exist, they are very well hidden :)

With some versions of OS X it's installed already - well an older version. Can you issue:

$ ompi_info

on the command line? As MPI is a standard which is not targeting any specific platform, most of the tutorials should apply here too, as long as they don't access any OS specific functions.

For an Objective-C application:

$ mpicc -ObjC -framework Foundation -framework CoreLocation ....

-- Reuti